The Dick's Sporting Goods chain said Tuesday that it is suspending sales of some rifles nationwide because of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, USA Today is reporting.
Dick's Sporting Goods has more than 500 stores in 44 states with Twin Cities locations including Roseville, Minnetonka, Richfield, Maple Grove, Burnsville and Woodbury.
In a statement, the Pittsburgh-based sporting goods retailer on Tuesday said:
"We are extremely saddened by the unspeakable tragedy that occurred last week in Newtown, CT, and our hearts go out to the victims and their families, and to the entire community.
Out of respect for the victims and their families, during this time of national mourning we have removed all guns from sale and from display in our store nearest to Newtown and suspended the sale of modern sporting rifles in all of our stores chainwide.
We continue to extend our deepest sympathies to those affected by this terrible tragedy."
Walmart has taken similar measures at its stores.
In Woodbury, much of the focus in the days after the massacre was focused on safety at area schools. Related content:
- Connecticut School Shooting: District 833 to Review Safety and Security Practices
- Sandy Hook Shooting Prompts Increased Police Presence at Woodbury Schools
- Newtown School Shooting: Resources for Parents via Principal of Woodbury's Bailey Elementary
- Newtown School Shooting: McCollum Urges Immediate Congressional Action to End 'Epidemic of Gun Violence'
Woodbury Patch bloggers have also responded to the tragedy in Newtown:
- 2nd Amendment Debate: Are We Capable of Hard Work or Are We in Real Trouble?
- Feeling Grief... Embracing Joy
At Dick's Sporting Goods, it's unclear how long the suspension of some rifle sales will last, according to the USA Today report. The Woodbury location does sell firearms, a manager told Patch.