My home has become very carb conscious these days and we struggle to come up with desserts that can be very tasty and at the same time be very light on the calories and carbs. These angel food cupcakes are very light, they are made with egg whites and the fruit topping has minimal sugar but you would never know it because I think this dessert is elegant and beautiful and what a way to impress your company. These cupcakes are very big on flavor!
- Prep: 10 min. Cook: 12 min.
- Twelve hole cupcake pan and twelve cupcake liners
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (10 to 12 large)
- 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 big teaspoons lemon zest
- For glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- grated peel of one lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1. Place egg whites in a very large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times. Beat egg whites, cream of tarter, and almond flavoring with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- 3. Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat sifting and folding in the remaining flour mixture three more times, using one-fourth of the flour mixture each time. 4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 (no more)full.
- 5. Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. (The crust of the cupcakes will be golden and slightly cracked.)
- Immediately remove from cupcake pan to prevent over baking. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- For the glaze:
- Mix 2 cups powdered sugar, grated peel of one lemon, and juice of two lemons. Prick the top the of hot cupcakes with a fork or a toothpick, pour the glaze over the tops of each, then put back into the still warm but turned off oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top with fresh raspberries or strawberries..... yum!
- *** You might want to try spraying your cupcake liners with a non stick spray for easier removal.
- Put some raspberries or strawberries in a bowl with sugar or *Splenda and let them macerate for for about 30 minutes so that you can get some sauce to pour over top of cupcake, but also use some fresh berries to put on top as well. I like that combination of fresh and macerated... I hope you do too!
- Yield: serves 12 Yield: serves 12
Notes: *** If you want to speed up the process in making the angel food cupcakes or feel it is rather daunting to try to make the cupcakes from scratch, you can always buy an angel food cake mix, and mix according to directions and then just follow the rest of the recipe. Quick and easy!
- *** Silicone cupcake liners make removing this angel food cupcake from the liner a total snap considering angel food has a tendency to stick to the wrapper. If you don't have them, it is probably a good idea to spray the inside of the cup cake liner with non stick spray.