UPDATE (9:15 a.m., Dec. 28, 2012): St. Croix County Sheriff John Shilts confirmed Friday morning the name of the Pierce County woman who jumped off the I-94 bridge to her death onto the frozen St. Croix River on Thursday after leaving her young daughter in the car.
Molly Crumley, 48, of River Falls, pulled onto the shoulder of eastbound I-94 on the St. Croix River bridge, exited her vehicle, climbed over the railing and jumped to her death at about 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 27.
O'Connell Family Funeral Home took initial custody of Crumley’s body after recovery crews retrieved it from the river. Funeral arrangements are pending.
Please express your condolences, prayers and wishes for the family in the comments of this post or on Crumley's page on the funeral home’s website.
ORIGINAL POST (11:29 a.m., Dec. 27, 2012):
Witnesses say a woman stopped her vehicle on the shoulder of I-94 on the St. Croix River bridge, left her 11-year-old daughter inside, climbed over the railing and jumped to her death just before 8:30 a.m. on Thursday.
Law enforcement and rescue personnel from the St. Croix County Sheriff's Office, Hudson Police Department, Washington County Sheriff's Office, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and the Lower St. Croix Valley Fire and EMS Service responded to the scene, according to a press release from the St. Croix County Sheriff's Office.
The 48-year-old Pierce County woman's body was recovered on the ice-covered river by the use of an air boat. Her identity is being withheld until relatives are notified, according to the release. Her 11-year-old girl is now with other family members.
The incident remains under investigation.
- Hudson Star-Observer: Update -- Woman who jumped from Hudson Bridge Thursday morning was 48-year-old from Pierce County
- Pioneer Press: Wisconsin woman leaves daughter in car, jumps from I-94 bridge
- Star Tribune: Woman leaves daughter in vehicle, leaps to death into St. Croix from I-94 bridge
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram: Woman jumps to death from I-94 bridge
- KARE: Woman dies after jumping from I-94 bridge
- WEAU: Woman dies after jumping from bridge in Hudson
- WQOW: Woman dies after jumping from I-94 bridge, young daughter in vehicle