Wednesday, May 30, 2012
The Philippines Concert Choir performs in Oakdale tonight.
1. Finally, a day without rain in the forecast. Weather gurus at the National Weather Service say that today will be partly sunny, with a high near 60. 2. Oakdale's Guardian Angels Catholic Church presents the University of the Philippines Concert Choir tonight at 7 p.m. The event is free to the public. The international choir recently performed at St. Thomas University as part of their North America tour. 3. On this day in 1431, Joan of Arc, the savior of France, was burned at the stake for heresy. 4. Students from School District 622's Next Step Transition Program graduate at Centurty College today. 5. Looking to join a book club? Go to Oakdale Library tonight at 6:30 and join the Oakdale Book Discussion Group.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Five things you should know today, Friday, May 18
1. It’s heating up! Today’s weather will be sunny with a high near 89, according to the National Weather Service forecast. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph, the forecast says. 2. Tartan High School’s 10th Annual Relay for Life starts tonight at 6 p.m. The opening ceremony takes place at 7 p.m., and fireworks will go off at 9:45 p.m. 3. Want to help tidy up Tanner’s Lake? Oakdale’s Environmental Management Commission is sponsoring a lake cleanup Saturday morning. Meet at the picnic shelter by the beach at 9 a.m. Saturday morning if you’d like to help. Bring work gloves! 4. A new workout studio featuring “whole body vibration” machines opened in Woodbury. The studio says you can get a workout in as little as 10 minutes using the machines. …
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Five things you should know today, Thursday, May 17
1. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, according to the National Weather Service forecast. It’ll be partly sunny, with a high near 80, the forecast says. 2. The Maplewood/Oakdale Lions Club Plant Sale begins today from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Walton Park Pavilion. It continues each day through Sunday, May 20. See the calendar for the hours each day. 3. The Minnesota Sting, a nonprofit minor league football organization, has moved to East Ridge High School in Woodbury. Their next game is at 2 p.m. Saturday, June 16. 4. Afton’s monthly Ultimate Girls Night is tonight from 5 to 8:30 p.m. The evening features complimentary wine tasting, chair massages, food and drink specials and shopping discounts. See the event …
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Five things you should know today, Wednesday, May 16
1. Today’s weather will be sunny with a high near 71, according to the National Weather Service. 2. There’s an old-time dance event featuring a live band today at Woodbury’s Central Park from 1 to 4 p.m. The cost is $8 at the door. 3. Blogger Angie Hong has some great ideas for ways to get your kids outside and enjoying nature this summer. 4. Fundraising for Tartan’s Relay for Life, happening this Friday, now totals more than $101,000, putting the school’s 10-year fundraising total over $1 million, according to the Tartan High School announcements. 5. It’s National Sea Monkey Day today, according to the Sea Monkey Worship Page.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Five things you should know today, Tuesday, May 15
1. Today’s weather will be mostly sunny with a high near 77, according to the National Weather Service forecast. 2. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office will hold a ceremony at noon today for Law Enforcement Memorial Day in front of the historic courthouse in Stillwater. 3. A three-night first-time homebuyers’ workshop put on by the Washington County Housing and Redevelopment Authority begins at 6 p.m. tonight at Oakdale City Hall. The cost is $30. 4. Union electricians were outside Tamarack Village in Woodbury yesterday protesting JCPenny’s use of a Wisconsin company that doesn’t pay its electricians the same wages that Minnesota unions require. 5. It’s National Chocolate Chip Day today!
Monday, May 14, 2012
Five things you should know today, Monday, May 14
1. Looks like another nice day is in store! Today will be sunny with a high near 82 degrees, according to the National Weather Service forecast. 2. Tips for parents of teens and preteens will be offered in a training session at 6:30 p.m. tonight at East Ridge High School in Woodbury. The cost is $5. 3. Washington County held a recognition event this month to honor providers of foster care for children and vulnerable adults. Among the honorees were Oakdale residents Janel Kuester and Ronda Nelson. 4. Star Wars creator George Lucas turns 68 today. He is in the midst of a project to build low-income housing on a ranch in Marin County where he previously proposed to build a film studio. 5. Today is Underground America Day, a day to honor the …
Friday, May 11, 2012
Five things you should know today, Friday, May 11
1. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers or thunderstorms today, according to the National Weather Service forecast. Skies will be mostly cloudy with a high near 65, the forecast says. 2. Whee, Wii, Wee Fest is tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Oakdale Discovery Center. The fitness-centered event will include a climbing wall, disc golf, outdoor games, Wii sports a fitness walk and more. 3. If you didn’t get your garage sale fix in Oakdale last weekend, you have another opportunity. The Woodbury Lions Garage Sale started yesterday and runs through Saturday. There are 650 homes participating, according to Woodbury Patch. 4. Three criminal justice experts will be speaking starting at 12:30 p.m. today at Woodbury’s Globe College as part …
Thursday, May 10, 2012
Five things you should know today, Thursday, May 10
1. Today’s weather will be mostly sunny with a high near 76, according to the National Weather Service forecast. 2. If you didn’t get a chance to see artwork by Oak Meadows Senior Living residents at the Discovery Center, you have another chance! Oakdale’s Dunn Bros Coffee will have the tiles depicting residents’ life stories on display until June 3. 3. Woodbury Lutheran Church is offering a free community meal from 5 to 6:30 p.m. tonight. It’s part of the church’s “Open Doors Thursdays,” which aim to serve people struggling with financial need, unemployment, addictions, codependency, depression and chronic illness. 4. Meet the painters who created the artwork on display this month in the Discovery Center gallery today at a 4:30 p.m. …
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Five things you should know today, Wednesday, May 9
1. Today’s weather will be mostly sunny with a high near 65, according to the National Weather Service forecast. 2. There are still volunteer spots available at the three-day Feed My Starving Children event at Skyview Community School May 22-24. Register on the Feed my Starving Children website. 3. There’s a session at 7 p.m. tonight at Woodbury’s East Ridge High School for anyone who has a family member in a nursing home, or who may need a nursing home in the future. The $15 session addresses protection of assets, the difference between Medicare and Medicaid, special veterans benefits and more. 4. Do you remember the Stillwater Bakery? See an historic photo of the shop on Stillwater Patch. 5. It’s National Receptionists Day today.
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Five things you should know today, Tuesday, May 8
1. There will be scattered showers today, and possibly a thunderstorm after 1 p.m., according to the National Weather Service forecast. It’ll be cloudy with a high near 68 and the chance of precipitation is 60 percent, the forecast says. 2. Registration is open for School District 622’s summer programs—Adventure Connection and The Edge. The programs are for kids from pre-kindergarten through seventh grade. 3. A benefit run, walk, dinner and silent auction is being organized in honor of longtime Oakdale resident Colleen Meath, who recently died of brain cancer. The event is June 12, at Walton Park and the preregistration deadline is May 15. See the organizers’ event announcement for more information. 4. On this day in 2010, Betty White …